WELCOME

Welcome to my blog. If you live in Surrey and birding is your obsession (to get out of bed at some ridiculously early time of the morning, no matter what the weather, to go and look at birds isn't normal behaviour, believe me) and you're still a bit of a novice (like me) then, hopefully, this blog is for you.



Wednesday 9 June 2010

BOGGED DOWN BY MARSH TIT

It's been a long slog to find it but in the end I did. My first Marsh Tit (139) of the year, found at Ranmore Common. The Common was supposedly a dead-cert if you want to find this neat little bird, but on two previous visits I couldn't find one. The same thing happened at Bagmoor Common - although I think I might have caught a glimpse of one but at the time I couldn't be sure. This time round I saw one in an oak tree and heard another - and now I realise it is a song I have heard before.



So, at last, one monkey can be removed from my back. What made it slightly bitter-sweet though was that I have just taken up a seven-day trial with Rare Bird Alert - a brilliant website that gives you up-to-the-minute reports on all rare bird sightings around Britain - and I found out later that a Hoopoe had been sighted at Chertsey and if I had known I could have gone over there to take a look.

Similarly, I heard about the two Red-Backed Shrike sightings too late, visiting both sights (Banstead and Richmond Park) to find that the bird had long gone.

I shall try Chertsey in the morning. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment