WELCOME

Welcome to my blog. If you live in Surrey and birding is your obsession (to get out of bed at some ridiculously early time of the morning, no matter what the weather, to go and look at birds isn't normal behaviour, believe me) and you're still a bit of a novice (like me) then, hopefully, this blog is for you.



Wednesday 26 May 2010

PAYING AN OLD PATCH A VISIT

The Spring migration has pretty much ground to a halt if the lack of any new species being recorded on the local birding websites is anything to go by. Having had a busy working week, I was lucky to see the Spotted Flycatchers on Saturday, particularly as I went to Ockham Common on Monday afternoon in the hope of seeing a few more, but under a scorching sun, all was pretty quiet apart from a Woodlark singing in the mid-distance.



Tuesday evening I decided to pay Staines a visit. I wasn't really expecting much - the Reservoir was particularly barren apart from a few Common Terns - but I was happy to spend a bit of time on the Moor, a place I enjoy walking around. Right on queue the resident Cetti's Warbler burst into song, and the Blackcaps were also bellowing out a few notes. A Cuckoo was in the vicinity but I didn't see it, although I caught sight of a Snipe, three Common Terns, three Lapwings, some Meadow Pipits, a couple of Skylarks and Reed Warblers, a Sedge Warbler, a Kestrel and four Reed Buntings.



I'm still missing a few resident birds, most notably the Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Marsh Tit, which I know are out there somewhere in the Surrey area for me to find, but they are proving elusive, as are Ringed Plover - although I've had sightings of its smaller cousin the Little Ringed Plover on more than one occasion. Of the migrants I haven't seen a Turtle Dove or a Wood Warbler this year - both are going to be very difficult to spot.

The other bird I'm keen to see is a Peregrine Falcon - I feel it's just a question of time. There are plenty of others but I'll have to be patient - it isn't even halfway through the year yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment