WELCOME

Welcome to my blog. If you live in Surrey and birding is your obsession (to get out of bed at some ridiculously early time of the morning, no matter what the weather, to go and look at birds isn't normal behaviour, believe me) and you're still a bit of a novice (like me) then, hopefully, this blog is for you.



Wednesday 12 May 2010

KITE'S FLYING HIGH

I've been lucky to see two Red Kite in Surrey so far this year - one over the M25 near Leatherhead and the other soaring over Staines Moor.

They make for a spectacular sight, and it is encouraging to see they are making inroads further east from their stronghold in the Chiltern area. As it transpired, I had to go to Oxford today, and anyone who drives up the M40 will know it is a great motorway to see Red Kite. I thought I would pass the time en route by counting how many I saw.

At first I didn't think I would see too many as the count started off slowly, but once I got going the count go higher. At one point I saw ten in the sky at one time - it was just a pity I was travelling in the fast lane and having to pay more attention to where I was going.

In the end I got to Oxford where the Red Kite population is more sparce and my count stopped at a remarkable 32 birds. The resurrection of this wonderful bird of prey is one of the great success stories for species in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment